Tuesday, May 4, 2010

California Summers...

Well summers almost here again, fire season starts soon, and that means less climbing and more working. Just to update all our rabid followers (sarcastic) on our recent climbing activity, Bender, Kevin and myself recently took three dead pinion pines out of a homeowners yard, with some basic spurring and rigging involved. It went well until the last tree, lets just say its good that chimneys are durable... We lost Shelly to a forest in Utah, she took a promotion to Battalion Chief level, we all miss her and wish her well. Anyway on to our recent climbs.....
Bender, Corey, Amanda and Myself took a small group of close friends up Mt. Pinos and introduced them to climbing. Kat, my girlfriend (who was curious as to why I was running off to the woods every weekend, our friend Chris and his girl Brandy. It was bright and sunny, but at 7000 feet with the wind blowing, it was fairly cold. Corey, Bender and I managed to top out the tree and Bender named it "Frosty" in honor of the great weather we were experiencing.
Corey and I found a new spot off Mt. Pinos Road, with several old growth Jeffery Pine and some younger jeffs' and mixed firs in the area. We have a tradition that states the first climber to "top out" (ascend as high as possible) a tree gets to name it, so being as Corey made it higher than I, she named it "Sheephead". We plan on returning to that stand this weekend for more climbing.
We try to GPS all of our named trees into my GPS so we can return later if so desired, some trees are fairly remote though. I'm making an effort to update the page more often from now on and more pictures and individual climbing info are on the way. The second video is still in the works, but I promise its coming!
Oh the guestbook is broken so if you want to make any comments or suggestions, hit me up on my email.
Later
J

No comments:

Post a Comment